Having joined the school as an Asstt. Teacher in 1979, Mrs. Sushma Khurana was promoted as a TGT and later as a PGT (Economics). Her supreme devotion, sheer hard work, unquestionable commitment coupled with a sharp administrative acumen and a keen understanding and observation of the changing trends of society and consequent expectations from education thereof, were instrumental in her appointment as the school’s Principal in the year 1995.
Her services and achievements in the field of education have been exemplary. During her tenure, Lilawati Vidya Mandir has acquired an extra edge of excellence and prestige, developed leaps and bounds by updating the resources and pedagogical nuances.
It is a matter of great pride and honour that LVM is one of the oldest and best known schools in Delhi.
GLORY FOR THE SCHOOL
Under her entrepreneurship the school has been honoured with the following
(1) NGO Parakh gave ‘The Colosseum’ School Award for Best Dance, Drama, Amphitheatres and Cultural Activities in the year 2015-2016.
(2) TERI, The Energy and Resource Institute presented CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION to L.V.M. recognising it as one of the Best Project School as part of GREEN OLYMPIAD in the year 2015-2016. School’s active participation since 2008 has been appreciated.
(3) NGO PARAKH presented ‘DR S. RADHA KRISHNAN SCHOOL’ awards for retaining Best Teachers in the School in year 2015-2016.
(4) India Association For the Blind awarded CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION for outstanding excellence and amazing commitment towards voluntary contribution during the year 2015-2016 for the empowerment of persons with visual challenges.
(5) School won the Cultural Championship Trophy for the year 2015-2016 for outstanding achievements in Zonal Sports & Cultural Activities, Zonal Sports & Cultural Activities, Zone VII, Distt. North.
(6) In 2015 the School was awarded CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION by Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Govt. of India for active participation in the painting/poster/slogan competitions organised on the occasion of 30th Anniversary of the Vienna Convention and 21st International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer.
(7) In EXPRESSIONS INDIA, school won I position in ELOQUENCE, Extempore English Speech and II in UTOPIA, on the Spot-Painting Competition.
(8) VIGYAN PARASAR, the autonomous organisation under the Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India presented CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION to School’s Science Club with entitlement to rights and privileges of membership therein in the year 2014.
(9) The School was declared ‘Eco Friendly’ School by Indian Institute of Ecology and Environment for outstanding contribution in the area of Environmental Education and Development in 2013.
(10) The school was enlisted among top Best Schools of India, 2013; by Engineering Watch.
(11) Annual Book Fairs are a regular feature at L.V.M.
(12) In addition to three fully functional smart classes which were introduced in 2011, Digital Interactive Classroom Program has also been introduced in 35 Classrooms in 2012. The modern infrastructure has given pedagogy new dimension and twist.
(13) The School has won numerous position in Zonal level competitions. After this Lilawatiites have reached not only District Level but also won position at State Level Competitions.
(14) In 2011, model prepared by school team was short listed for display at Central Level by National Children Science Congress. (21) In 2012, The organisers of Spell Vocal Challenger have presented L.V.M. with memento for regular participation in all events for the last decade.
(15) In 2010, School Troupe of Folk Dancers (girls) was short listed for performance at State Level.
(16) In Science Exhibition organized under DOE, the School’s model was selected for display at Central Level in 2010.
(17) Under the Model Making Project organized by National Children Science Congress in 2008 School Team’s model was short listed for State Level Competitions.
(18) School team for One Act Play bagged the I position at both District and State Level Competitions in 2008.
(19) K.M. Munshi Memorial Competitions-2007 organised by Bhartiya Vidya Bhawan’s Mehta Vidyalaya awarded the School Running Trophy for winning in various events.
(20) LVM won school trophy in Jaspalian Arcade Inter School Competition-2007. The School team also bagged I position in Skit Competition.
(21) A working model on the topic “Preservation of Water at Public Places” cleared competitions at Zonal, Central and State Level and was short listed for National Level display by CBSE in 2006.
(22) In 2004, science model prepared by School students was selected for Central Level display by National Science Centre.
(23) The school won the Running Trophy in XX Manav Sthali Maths Talent Search Test, 2004.
(24) The School hosted a Recitation Contest under Inter School Literacy Week Celebration of North – West Zone under the aegis of Delhi Schools Literacy Project(10) The School has been winning many positions in the Zone –VII in various activities / Sports being organized by the Sports and Cultural Activities Board of Zone VII, Directorate of Education, Govt. of NCT of Delhi. The school students have also won such events at the International level.
(25) The School also participated in Perfect Health Parade 2001 from Vijay Chowk to Lal Quila, conducted jointly by Heart Care Foundation of India and MCD.
(26) On the Opening Day of the National School Games Championship organised by the Sports Branch of Directorate of Education in the year 2000, the school students presented a beautiful item on ‘Aerobics’.
(27) A contingent of 120 Students performed at Vijay Chowk on the occasion of Republic Day, 1998. It won media attention and was highly appreciated.
(28) During the celebration of Subhash Chandra Bose Jayanti a Tableau was sent which was highly appreciated.
(29) The School was awarded a Certificate of Merit and a Special Shield by the Central Institute of General Knowledge Learning for successfully conducting 16th All India National Talent Search Contest, 1995-96.
(30) The School received a Special Prize in recognition of the beautiful display of Kumaon Dance on 23rd January 1996 on the occasion of Subhash Chandra Bose Jayanti.
(31) School was awarded the Certificate of Patronage from the Resident Co-ordinator, UNO, India during the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the UNO during the year 1995-96.
(32) School children gave an amazing performance of ‘Aerobics’ at Chhatrasal Stadium on the occasion of Children’s Day 1995. The directorate of Education awarded First Prize to the school.
THE NATURE LOVER
With an uncanny love and fascination for nature, Mrs. Sushma Khurana takes a personal interest in the flora in and around the school. The majestic green lawns of the school boast of several prestigious awards.
(1) The school has been winning coveted positions and trophies in the Annual Flower Show Competition organised by the University of Delhi since 2003.
(2) An Eco – Club in school has achieved remarkable success in a short time in making Students aware of the damage done to our environment and means to stop further damage.
(i) A troupe of 5 student actors featured in the T.V. serial “Khel Khel Mein Badlo Duniya”. The programme was sponsored by petroleum Conservation and Research Organisation and aired on DD- 1.
(ii) The Organisation also felicitated Mrs. Sushma Khurana for her untiring efforts in the campaign.
THE SOCIAL WORKER
Mrs Sushma Khurana also harbours a soft corner for the downtrodden and the underpriviledged. A number of community Service programmes ensure participation and interests of students. She successfully teaches the values of initiative and integrity through personal examples.
(1) Under her Principalship, the school was pronounced one among the ten best schools of distt. North by the Dy. Director of Education, Govt. of NCT of Delhi with regard to carrying on the Project named ‘Education for All’.
(2) The school has been recognized for the success of Pulse Polio Programme 2000-01 and 2001-02 organised by the Directorate of Family Welfare, Govt. of NCT of Delhi.
(3) A Vocational Training Centre for Women has been opened at old Birla Lane, the expenses of which are borne by the school.
(4) The school is also a venue for Pulse Polio drops.
(5) The NSS group of school also donates blankets and other materials to the poor.
(6) As an effort to sensitise students towards the underprivileged, greeting cards for Diwali are bought from NGOs like Udyan.
(7) Flags of Communal Harmony and Army are bought from National Foundation for Communal Harmony and Rajya Sainik Board respectively in the months of November and December to mark their respective Flag Days.
(8) The NSS group of the School puts up stalls during P.T.M. and other days for the sale of various items from candles to paintings. The proceeds of these are forwarded to NGOs.
OTHER FEATHERS IN HER CAP
(1) Social Research Centre, an Associate of IFUNA, designated her as AMBASSADOR ‘Swachh Harit Bharat’ on the occasion of ‘UNITED NATIONS DAY- 2018’.
(2)Actively participated in CAPACITY BUILDING PROGRAMME on ‘’Elimination of Corporal Punishment’’ held at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on October 16th , 2018 organised by SCERT, Delhi.
(3) Received Delhi State Teacher’s Award for the year 2013.
(4) Was awarded Dr. S. Radha Krishnan Memorial National Teachers Awards, 2002 by All India Freelance Journalists & Writer’s Association (Regd.) on the occasion of Teacher’s Day, 2002.
(5) Awarded Spardha Shree Award instituted by All India Unique Sports & Cultural Organisation Regd for the Years 1998 and 2005.
(6) Appointed by the Controller of Examinations, CBSE as a member of Expert Group constituted to have a quick over view of the question papers in Economics for the Board’s examination since 2002.
(7) Has been working as Co-ordinator of the Committee for Finalization of Marking Scheme for Economics in respect of CBSE Examination since 1998.
(8) Appointed as Member of the executive committee of zonal School Sports and Activities board of Zone VII, Directorate of Education for the academic years 1996-97 & 2000-01.
(9) Received ‘Excellent Report’ from Shri Balwan Singh, Asstt. Director of Education (PE & NI), Incharge JRC, Govt. of NCT of Delhi who made a surprise inspection of School premises and its functioning on July 18, 2001.
(10) Was invited by Birla Sr. Sec. School, Birla Lines, Kamla Nagar, Delhi to judge Om Parkash Soni Regional Debate competition Gold Trophy – 1999 & 2000.
(11) Was Invited by the Managing Committee of Maharaja Agarsen Public School, Ashok Vihar, Delhi, to interview candidates for selection of PGT (Economics), as an expert.
(12) Personally honoured by Rashtriya Jagriti Sangh for excellent Board results in the years 2000 and 2001.
(13) Honoured by Throwball Association of Delhi (Regd.) for successfully managing the conduct of 10th Junior National Throwball Championship, 2000.
(14) Invited by the University of Delhi, Department of Education to interview candidates for admission to B.Ed Course for the academic years 1998-99 to 2002-2003.
(15) Participated in teacher Effectiveness Workshop held in March 1991 at CSKM Public School, Mehrauli, New Delhi under the aegis of Integrated Educational and Psychological Services, Delhi.
(16) Has been giving opportunity to student-teachers of Department of Education, University of Delhi to have practice teaching since more than a decade.
(17) Received Distinguished service award by Heart. Care Foundation of India, organisers of MTNL Perfect Health Mela.